Just in time for Easter! Use your favorite fabric to make bow ties that are cute as can be (and easy too). No boys in the house? Leave off the neck strap, hot glue onto a barrette, and you have a super cute hair bow!
You can even mix things up and choose one fabric for the bow, and another for the middle band and the neck strap!
Looking for cute geeky fabrics to make your bow from? Be sure to check out the Appliqué Geek fabric shop on Spoonflower! This pattern also works great for using up those leftover odds and ends of fabric you have laying around.
Here’s what you’ll need:
❤ fabric (see size chart below)
❤ sewing scissors or rotary cutter
❤ sewing machine
❤ tape measure
❤ a small piece of velcro (about 1″)
|Size Chart:||Baby/Toddler Bow Tie||Child/Teen
|Final assembled width||3.5 inches||4.5 inches||5.5 inches|
|Size to cut bow fabric||8 inches x 4 inches||10 inches x 6 inches||12 inches x 7.5 inches|
|Size to cut band fabric||3.5 inches x 2 inches||3.5 inches x 2 inches||3.5 inches x 2 inches|
|Size to cut neck strap fabric||16 inches x 2.5 inches||18 inches x 2.5 inches||21 inches x 2.5 inches|
Here’s how to make it:
2. Take a bow piece and fold in half lengthwise with the print side facing in. Sew a seam along the long edge with about a 1/8″ to 1/4″ seam allowance.
3. Turn right side out and “roll” the seam to the middle (instead of the side).
4. Fold in half (NOT lengthwise this time) with the seam side facing out. Sew along the raw edge with about a 1/8″ to 1/4″ seam allowance.
5. Turn right side out so the raw seam is on the inside and “roll” to move the seam to the middle.
6. Pinch in the middle to make the bow form and hand sew a couple of stitches to hold the shape.
7. As in step 2 of the bow, take the piece of band fabric and fold in half lengthwise with the print side facing in, then sew a seam along the long edge with about a 1/8″ seam allowance.
8. As in step 3 of the bow, turn the band right side out and “roll” the seam to the middle (instead of the side).
9. With the seam side facing out, wrap the band around the center of the bow tie. Pin where you need to sew the band so that it is neither too loose nor too tight around the bow tie.
10. Slide the band off of the bow tie and sew the band as pinned, still with the seam side facing out. Cut off any excess band fabric.
11. Turn the band right side out so the seam is on the inside of the loop.
12. Pull the bow through the band with the seams in back and position the loop over the center of the bow.
13. Fold neck strap piece in half lengthwise with print side facing in. With about a 1/8″ seam allowance, sew along long edge AND one of the short edges.
14. Turn neck strap right side out and iron.
15. Cut a 1″ piece of velcro and sew one of the halves of velcro to the finished end of the neck strap.
16. Put the neck strap on the wearer and mark where the other half of velcro should be sewn (or you can use a neck measurement and make the band 1.5″ longer than the neck size).
17. Tuck in the raw end of the band to the correct neck band length (you may need to cut off a little of the excess length first).
18. Sew the other half of velcro in place, making sure it is on the correct side of the band (opposite side from the other piece).
19. Pull the band through the backside of the loop.
20. [Optional] Hand sew the band to the bow tie and the neck strap to the band to keep them in place.
21. Place on your adorable child and enjoy!